Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sir Benjamin

2 weeks before Halloween, I decided I needed a project. Previously Benji had thought he would like to be a dragon...again. He has been an alligator & or dragon the last 2 years. Hoping to explore our options a bit more we browsed the pattern catalog at the fabric store. He landed a step up from dragon to dragon Slayer. So Sir Benjamin was knighted for Halloween. and he promptly declared I would be his Princess and Dad another Knight, & Ryelle the princess fairy. Note last year, I was a princes and Dan was a knight, while Benji & Nelly were dragons. Apparently this really left an impression on Benji and he was eager to recreate the memory.The picture below shows Benji stunned to see Dad in his work costume. Benji was so shaken he refused to let Dan come near him for a good 10 minutes. His office has themed costumes and Dans team was the only scary section of the whole office, the mad doctors. It was slightly traumatic.



The night before Halloween Benji woke us with the horrid barking seal cough. Dang it!!! I thought why do kids get sick right before a major celebration. I still remember when I was 5 years old and caught the flue the night before Halloween. What a serious bummer to not be able to go out in your costume on Halloween night!!! And we had just spent the previous day with a lot of friends from our old neighborhood...I was dreading we had unknowingly passed it on while together at the park party...Sorry Guys...
So at 2 am checked on line & read all the info I could on croup. The good thing was cold air actually aids in clearing the airways of the croup attacks. So trick or treating was in. Dan was insistent Benji would be at his work party and Benji was too for that matter. His Pre-school party was out also that day, but I was able to pick up a bag full of tricks-prizes his teacher so nicely put together for him. I was determined to let him participate in what ever would be possible so as long as he didnt have a fever and felt ok we went for it. Is that terrible? I think I was trying to make up for that one time I missed Trick or Treating. But I am always nervous of sharing illness so when it came time for the dinner party at the cousins we had to stay home because he had another Fever and was seriously tired out from Dads work party/trick or treating and the 3 blocks trick or treating in our neighborhood. We were bummed to miss out on the family gathering-next time, but all in all it was a fun filled Halloween Day.

7 comments:

Ciria said...

Awesome job on the costume! My kids get sick before everything. It is quite the bummer!

leigh said...

So you made the knight costume? Very cool. I've been trying to talk someone into that one for a while now.

Angela said...

Thanks Leigh. you inspired me to give it a try.

Amanda said...

Merearma! that's what you say when you trick-or-treat as a Knight. That's the word verification letter that I had to enter, but it seemed like something a Knight would say. Well done Benji, you should have thrust your sword into you your dad at his halloween party and drawn real blood. Looks like you had fun. Porter, and Maya and Bennett had a blast until they had to give up their candy for "starving children in Peru".

Sarah said...

What an awesome costume, I can't believe you made it!

Peggy said...

WOW, Angela, that is an awesome costume and I would have been scared by Dan's costume too--was that blood all over his face?! Too funny!

Jamie said...

I love the knight costume. Amazing that its homemade.

My kids always get the croup. It seems with each cold Katie ends up barking like a seal. Good thing it only makes nights hard and we don't have to keep her home all day. If it gets really bad at night I take her outside for a while or open her window--clears it right up. Propping pillows up so she's not laying flat also helps.